Mika's story
Ok, folks I should have been posting from day one but day one is now the day I had her party and the following is her story.

This was Mika the day after I dragged her out of the cold March night. It was late I just wanted to come home and get into bed but there she was, frightened, jumpy and pacing outside my building. Without a moments thought (not a typical for me), I went to get a leash on this dog and drag her home. It was not until the next morning that I realized this dog had arrived on the day of my sister Michele’s birthday. Some of you might not know that Michele is my older sister, my best friend, and my right foot who died about 10 years ago. Michele was, as everyone in my family is an avid lover of animals and I felt I was being called to duty in her memory to make this dog adoptable. I knew this dog was special underneath all that fear. How did I know this? Well on some level I believe this dog came to me in ways beyond explanation. Barring that, I have been around, worked with and seen a lot of dogs. It’s in their eyes. And that night I saw, in her eyes, a terrified dog that just needed someone with patience and determination to rebuild her trust. She didn’t leave her pink towel for two days except to pee. Mind you, I was careful especially after our first visit to the vet.
The vet took one look at her and said, “Have you spoken to her in many languages?”
Huh?
“ These types of dogs are trained to attack. Careful you don’t stumble on a trigger word. AND don’t touch her food.”
Great.
And then Malinois Rescue Organization found me from one of my many internet posts. I had never heard of this breed. “Intelligent and attentive, the Malinois is known for its trainability, and is being successfully worked in conformation, obedience, schutzhund, ring sport, herding, and tracking. The breed is also increasingly in demand as "sniffing" dogs, locating drugs or bombs at airports and borders.” I learned that they have a high prey drive and are mostly used for police work.
I had a possible attack dog with a high prey drive. Oh boy.
She didn’t walk on a leash, she was terrified of cars, sticks, drawers, wheels, big men, loud noises you name it. She lunged towards other dogs taking my arm with her. She ran away from me ripping the long clothesline through my cold hands. I was getting up early every morning sometimes wondering if she was ever going to come around. I saw small improvements. With the aid of the Malinois Rescue people, some Internet research, my own good sense and knowledge, Mika was on her way to becoming a socialized animal. Mind you, there were days that I wondered if this highly sensitive dog would survive in NYC. I questioned whether it was fair. I began to call her Ritalin dog because her need to hear and see everything. I awaited that snapping jaw the vet warned me about. It has never come.
As the weeks progressed, she changed and finally ended her heat. Thank god. I was planning to keep her until she was spayed. I wasn’t in the space to have a dog. I didn't think it was fair, my life isn’t set up for it etc. Basically, I didn't want the life of a dog owner in NYC. I used to throw my Tigger in my car and take her on hikes, to the beach and she never had to be taken out every morning. I still believe this sometimes life brings you the most unpractical gifts. There is nothing like putting time and effort into a being and seeing the hard work pay off. And now, I greet the morning not with checking my email but instead witha walk in the trees and grass.
When the couple from Vermont applied to adopt her and I started finding fault with their application, I began to question myself. I couldn’t possibly be thinking of keeping her?! I was only fostering her to make her a fantastic dog for someone else. That was the job that I had been given. But when I started to think, "These people don't understand that she is a Malinois," I knew I was in trouble.
One day in the park, I ran into Tyril, THE dog trainer. I didn't know he was a trainer and when he started asking me questions about my Malinois. I was extremely suspect. I still was waiting for someone to claim her. Within a few minutes, I saw him working with a pup and realized that I had misjudged him. I apologized. He said "That's a nice dog." "Oh, I'm not keeping her." He queitly smirked and said, "Oh, ok." And then he saw me every week in the park with her. He was quite impressed with her roll-over and asked me to join him and his other dogs on Sunday. I had seen these dogs. John and his dog Max completly blew me over. I wanted her under total vocal and gestural command just like Max. I could see that if I weren’t in complete control of this dog, she would control me. She may be shy of 50 pounds but this dog could take a large man down to his knees and so I had my work cut out for me. Unless, that is something I want her to do. I’ve learned more working with her about myself, commitment, clarity, focus, determination, patience, and setting clear goals than I have ever learned anywhere else. And she is a great conversation piece walking around the streets of Brooklyn!
Well, cut to the decision, the agonizing back and forth that slid into dog ownership. I still wonder what I will do when I travel to India despite my brother’s terse words “No more flitting off to India for you!” (When did he become my father?) But I believe that it’ll all work out and by the time Tyril and I are done with her people will be clamoring to take care of her even my brother. Besides, I don’t think I actually had a decision in this matter. It was decided on March 15th 2006 and I just had to grow into it. Life throws you curve balls.
My neighbor Kanthe and the whole Vaughan family has been an integral part of my ability to keep Mika. She and her son, Moses and I brought her in that cold night. So when I was thinking of keeping her I knew I needed help. So, I called her in Sri Lanka where she was visiting family ask her to help me walk her and take care of her. She said, “You don’t even have to ask.” I think she was secretly happy. Kanthe walks her, checks up on her, takes her over to her house, and watches her while I’m gone. She is Mika’s Auntie and my lifesaver. She often leaves me a yummy plate of food always on those days that I'm trudging home thinking "ugh I have to walk Mika, cook, do the dishes.."
Now what about her name? I looked online for weeks. I couldn’t find anything. I wanted to honor Michele’s memory and tried to think of places, words, authors that my sister liked, I translated her name into Japanese, Hindi and Spanish. Nothing felt right. Well, I said, if I can’t find a name she’s not meant to be mine. Besides, who am I to think that I was the best person for her? I was determined to find the reason I wasn’t supposed to keep her. I asked the Malinois rescue people to evaluate me secretly hoping they would say that I was a terrible choice for a home and a Mal in the city was unfair. Instead, they said “You have been a fantastic foster mom so we don't have any reservations about you keeping Mika.” Damn!
One day, I found a crumpled up piece of paper in the bottom of my bag and on it was a list of words and names. I had forgotten that I had done this, taking my sister’s name and moving the letters around to see if I could produce a name. I unfolded the paper and it literally jumped off the paper into my eyes. MIKA, circled. That was it. Mika (“meeka”) became her name in honor of my sister’s memory and in honor of this gift given to me. Like many of the unexpected events in my life, this one has also been full of surprise and life shaking change but unlike the other events in my life, this one is full of love and joy.
Mika is the mascot of 255 Eastern Building as many of my neighbors saw her that night and have watched her grow and change over the past few months.

And for those of you who know Fergus. Fear not. He is king of the roost and can turn Mika on her heels just by throwing his glance her way.
If you would like to become part of her circle of aunties and uncles, let me know! There is always room for more in the family.
Thank you for being part of this day,
Jen
And, I believe, Michele. May your life always be an inspiration. I miss you. xx.
Here she is today!

This was Mika the day after I dragged her out of the cold March night. It was late I just wanted to come home and get into bed but there she was, frightened, jumpy and pacing outside my building. Without a moments thought (not a typical for me), I went to get a leash on this dog and drag her home. It was not until the next morning that I realized this dog had arrived on the day of my sister Michele’s birthday. Some of you might not know that Michele is my older sister, my best friend, and my right foot who died about 10 years ago. Michele was, as everyone in my family is an avid lover of animals and I felt I was being called to duty in her memory to make this dog adoptable. I knew this dog was special underneath all that fear. How did I know this? Well on some level I believe this dog came to me in ways beyond explanation. Barring that, I have been around, worked with and seen a lot of dogs. It’s in their eyes. And that night I saw, in her eyes, a terrified dog that just needed someone with patience and determination to rebuild her trust. She didn’t leave her pink towel for two days except to pee. Mind you, I was careful especially after our first visit to the vet.
The vet took one look at her and said, “Have you spoken to her in many languages?”
Huh?
“ These types of dogs are trained to attack. Careful you don’t stumble on a trigger word. AND don’t touch her food.”
Great.
And then Malinois Rescue Organization found me from one of my many internet posts. I had never heard of this breed. “Intelligent and attentive, the Malinois is known for its trainability, and is being successfully worked in conformation, obedience, schutzhund, ring sport, herding, and tracking. The breed is also increasingly in demand as "sniffing" dogs, locating drugs or bombs at airports and borders.” I learned that they have a high prey drive and are mostly used for police work.
I had a possible attack dog with a high prey drive. Oh boy.
She didn’t walk on a leash, she was terrified of cars, sticks, drawers, wheels, big men, loud noises you name it. She lunged towards other dogs taking my arm with her. She ran away from me ripping the long clothesline through my cold hands. I was getting up early every morning sometimes wondering if she was ever going to come around. I saw small improvements. With the aid of the Malinois Rescue people, some Internet research, my own good sense and knowledge, Mika was on her way to becoming a socialized animal. Mind you, there were days that I wondered if this highly sensitive dog would survive in NYC. I questioned whether it was fair. I began to call her Ritalin dog because her need to hear and see everything. I awaited that snapping jaw the vet warned me about. It has never come.
As the weeks progressed, she changed and finally ended her heat. Thank god. I was planning to keep her until she was spayed. I wasn’t in the space to have a dog. I didn't think it was fair, my life isn’t set up for it etc. Basically, I didn't want the life of a dog owner in NYC. I used to throw my Tigger in my car and take her on hikes, to the beach and she never had to be taken out every morning. I still believe this sometimes life brings you the most unpractical gifts. There is nothing like putting time and effort into a being and seeing the hard work pay off. And now, I greet the morning not with checking my email but instead witha walk in the trees and grass.
When the couple from Vermont applied to adopt her and I started finding fault with their application, I began to question myself. I couldn’t possibly be thinking of keeping her?! I was only fostering her to make her a fantastic dog for someone else. That was the job that I had been given. But when I started to think, "These people don't understand that she is a Malinois," I knew I was in trouble.
One day in the park, I ran into Tyril, THE dog trainer. I didn't know he was a trainer and when he started asking me questions about my Malinois. I was extremely suspect. I still was waiting for someone to claim her. Within a few minutes, I saw him working with a pup and realized that I had misjudged him. I apologized. He said "That's a nice dog." "Oh, I'm not keeping her." He queitly smirked and said, "Oh, ok." And then he saw me every week in the park with her. He was quite impressed with her roll-over and asked me to join him and his other dogs on Sunday. I had seen these dogs. John and his dog Max completly blew me over. I wanted her under total vocal and gestural command just like Max. I could see that if I weren’t in complete control of this dog, she would control me. She may be shy of 50 pounds but this dog could take a large man down to his knees and so I had my work cut out for me. Unless, that is something I want her to do. I’ve learned more working with her about myself, commitment, clarity, focus, determination, patience, and setting clear goals than I have ever learned anywhere else. And she is a great conversation piece walking around the streets of Brooklyn!
Well, cut to the decision, the agonizing back and forth that slid into dog ownership. I still wonder what I will do when I travel to India despite my brother’s terse words “No more flitting off to India for you!” (When did he become my father?) But I believe that it’ll all work out and by the time Tyril and I are done with her people will be clamoring to take care of her even my brother. Besides, I don’t think I actually had a decision in this matter. It was decided on March 15th 2006 and I just had to grow into it. Life throws you curve balls.
My neighbor Kanthe and the whole Vaughan family has been an integral part of my ability to keep Mika. She and her son, Moses and I brought her in that cold night. So when I was thinking of keeping her I knew I needed help. So, I called her in Sri Lanka where she was visiting family ask her to help me walk her and take care of her. She said, “You don’t even have to ask.” I think she was secretly happy. Kanthe walks her, checks up on her, takes her over to her house, and watches her while I’m gone. She is Mika’s Auntie and my lifesaver. She often leaves me a yummy plate of food always on those days that I'm trudging home thinking "ugh I have to walk Mika, cook, do the dishes.."
Now what about her name? I looked online for weeks. I couldn’t find anything. I wanted to honor Michele’s memory and tried to think of places, words, authors that my sister liked, I translated her name into Japanese, Hindi and Spanish. Nothing felt right. Well, I said, if I can’t find a name she’s not meant to be mine. Besides, who am I to think that I was the best person for her? I was determined to find the reason I wasn’t supposed to keep her. I asked the Malinois rescue people to evaluate me secretly hoping they would say that I was a terrible choice for a home and a Mal in the city was unfair. Instead, they said “You have been a fantastic foster mom so we don't have any reservations about you keeping Mika.” Damn!
One day, I found a crumpled up piece of paper in the bottom of my bag and on it was a list of words and names. I had forgotten that I had done this, taking my sister’s name and moving the letters around to see if I could produce a name. I unfolded the paper and it literally jumped off the paper into my eyes. MIKA, circled. That was it. Mika (“meeka”) became her name in honor of my sister’s memory and in honor of this gift given to me. Like many of the unexpected events in my life, this one has also been full of surprise and life shaking change but unlike the other events in my life, this one is full of love and joy.
Mika is the mascot of 255 Eastern Building as many of my neighbors saw her that night and have watched her grow and change over the past few months.

And for those of you who know Fergus. Fear not. He is king of the roost and can turn Mika on her heels just by throwing his glance her way.
If you would like to become part of her circle of aunties and uncles, let me know! There is always room for more in the family.
Thank you for being part of this day,
Jen
And, I believe, Michele. May your life always be an inspiration. I miss you. xx.
Here she is today!

2 Comments:
Hi Jen, I just got your email and am stalling at work and wanted to check out your site. Who knew Mika was so talented and has such a beautiful adoption story! I'm really glad to have met you both. Thanks for the link. I'll have to edit my blog today so visitors can also learn Mika's miraculous back-story. Well wishes, JEN
oh Jen, your love story is wonderful and in true dog spirit. finding a dog in NY is not a usual thing, and on your sister's birthday!? you so did the right thing to keep Mika, you were meant to be together. i can see that you are as good a dog trainer as you are a yoga instructor. and now thanks to you and Mika, i might just pose better adho mukaha svaanasana! oxsue
Post a Comment
<< Home