Friday, June 22, 2007

More training

Today I took Mika to a busy subway junction in Brooklyn. This is the subway station that I came upon a group of Mennoites in pastels singing the lord's praises a few weeks ago. I was completely nervous. Not really because of her but because of having to possibly face people fearful or yelling at me. Tyril waited in his car and I nervously rounded the corner to the entrance. There were cops everywhere. So, I did a little heeling and sitting so as to show them she wasn't your average dog. She was also sporting her red rucksack. The cops were no problem. Then I went through the turnstile just waiting for the mta booth guy to start yelling. Nothing. Then it was up the escalator. No problem. This is the subway station that I came upon a group of Mennoites in pastels singing the lord's praises a few weeks ago. Sadly, they weren't there. I walked towards an incoming train. No problem. Not even a head cock for the screeching wheels. A cop smiled and said "how you doin'." And then we back down the escalator. No problem. Tyril was waiting just outside the turnstile like a nervous father. He wanted to see for himself. So back up we went and again, no problem. No one yelled, no one freaked and Mika was completely relaxed and doing whatever necessary to get her cheese. I think she got 1/4 pound within 20 minutes! Tyril said he just couldn't wait in the car anymore he was afraid I'd get nervous and then she would get nervous and it would be a mess. But no! He was as proud and amazed as could be. He reminded me that people aren't used to seeing a dog so attentive and obedient so that makes them realize this ain't your ordinary dog. The subway was her dry run. Next stop, the airport then.... Times Square.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home